Translate

About Me

Church Organist by Profession

Friday, August 28, 2009

Sunday 16 July 10:00am

I did not write a lot in my diary yesterday. Instead I busied myself with completing the Task ready for my return to my Organ duties this morning. I have finished reading the Old Testament without finding any more instruments than the ones I have already mentioned, and the list is now complete, with one addition from the Canticles which is by way of being a witty joke between me and Ken, as man to man.

Mum went shopping yesterday and bought me a book as a present! I tried to conceal my disappointment when I unwrapped it and found it was Crime and Punishment, by Dostoyevsky. I am sure she meant well, but obviously it is those Hormones playing up again.

And I completely forgot to mention that Miss Smith has invited me to join a special class that she takes after school hours on Fridays for More Mature Pupils. I promised to go next week, for it is a great privilege rarely afforded to an Arts & Humanities person such as myself.

I do wish Mr Grudge was as conscientious in his duties as Miss Smith obviously is. I think Miss Smith must be an extremely good teacher, and I am beginning to regret not taking at least one Science subject to provide a necessary Balance in my education. Human Biology, which is Miss Smith’s special subject, sounds very interesting indeed, and when Rachel and I are united in Holy Matrimony I will need to know some basic facts about the Human Reproductive System, the details of which I am unfamiliar with at present although I know that it must function efficiently otherwise I would not be here now. Renaissance Counterpoint and the Conceits of John Donne and the Crystal Poets of the 16thC are one thing, but they do not in themselves guarantee a choirstallsful of golden-haired trebles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to publish a comment to Barry, please do so here: