Translate

About Me

Church Organist by Profession

Monday, August 24, 2009

Friday 14 July

I am not surprised that Mum was so upset yesterday. There is trouble at Church! Someone from the Civic Society said in the paper – but I have the paper here, so I can copy it down:

Dear Sir (or Madam)

I write on behalf of our local Civic Society to protest in the strongest possible terms about a recent act of Vandalism in our historic Parish Church. Of the early 15thC choirstalls no less an authority than Nicholas Pevsner wrote: “Magnificent tracery, and unusual curlicues, scrolls and gyres: a fine, possibly unique, example and astonishing for its period. A priceless treasure in a building otherwise devoid of architectural or artistic merit.” Yet it is these very choirstalls that have been ruthlessly ripped out to be replaced by a monstrosity in veneered plywood and chromium plate. If our church fathers are so blind to our ecclesio-architectural treasures, then the sooner that English Heritage or even the National Trust assumes responsibility for the fabric of our churches the better.

Yrs etc

Alasdair Prudholm, FRIBA

The Civic Society

Outrageous! I do not remember ever seeing this Civic Society person in Church, nor any of his pagan acolytes, but I am sure that Ken will see him off with a flea in his ear. Ken knows that I am on his side defending our Church from the hostility of the secular world without. I will ask Ken if a letter from his Organist (and Choirmaster) would help.

All is now clear. Without doubt it was this letter which upset Mum so much this morning.

I will make her a pot of tea and take it up to her room.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to publish a comment to Barry, please do so here: