Translate

About Me

Church Organist by Profession

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Saturday 5 August

The bag was heavier even than yesterday, if that were possible. I dread to think how many Equatorial Forests must be lost to Mankind each year so that Mankind can learn the results of football matches in faraway places.

The lady with the Chinese Pagoda has orange hair! She was outside her house still waiting for the police to turn up when I delivered her Daily Express. She seemed very pleasant, despite being quite old (at least 40, I would say) but she warned me to be on my guard because of suspicious characters lurking about.

The man at 143 Bywater Street was also outside, waiting for his Daily Telegraph. “Learnt to read, have you?”, was all he said, snatching his very heavy newspaper from my grasp. What an unpleasant and bullying person he is! I was delighted when in his haste to return to his snug dwelling to peruse his Daily Telegraph he nearly fell over the bicycle parked by the side of his porch.

But I completed my round with no mistakes, and although I suspect that my left shoulder will always be an inch or two lower than my right I was relieved that there were no complaints.

Even the newsagent was pleasant to me. “Sorry you can’t do tomorrow, Brian”, he said, “what with Sunday being double time an’ all. But you have made a good start.”

Double time? It is already a race to get to my organ loft in time for the service. If my paper round took twice as long I would have to rise at 4am in the morning to complete it in time!

Although I am very tired from rising so early and from the physically demanding requirements of my Holiday Job I will now do some practice to put me in the right frame of mind for Divine Service tomorrow. And then I will resume my reading of Goldfinger.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to publish a comment to Barry, please do so here: