Translate

About Me

Church Organist by Profession

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Saturday 22 July

Spent almost the whole day practising hymns on the piano. I have discovered that I can actually play that awful hymn with five flats if I pretend that it’s in D major (which has sharps, but only two.) There is one tricky bit which I had to practise over and over again just before Mum remembered that she hadn’t done any shopping, but I think I have got it right now. And no blisters!

I am very excited about tomorrow, but I do think Ken could let me know what the hymns are in advance. I shall just have to get there early so that I can have a run-through and refamiliarise myself with the very different fingering technique which the organ requires (the organ, unlike the piano, having no sustaining pedal to help when you are working out how to get your fingers sorted out for the next chord.)

I have a feeling there might have been a Gerund in that last sentence, but tomorrow is a very important day so English grammar will have to wait.

Mum is watching a film downstairs that is all about Love. Dinner was a microwave curry from Sainsbury’s because Mum was late getting home (it was after 6pm. I do not understand how Mum can make shopping last so long.)

I have decided to play the same Voluntary tomorrow as I played last time – that moody piece by Mozart called Ave Verum. Astute members of the congregation will realise that it says: “Barry is back! As though he had never been away!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to publish a comment to Barry, please do so here: